Wednesday, July 8, 2015

AIMS Update 6: First Impression City

July 8th, 11:15pm - The Heim in Graz, Austria

On the whole today's schedule was pretty lax, except for the part where I sang for all the AIMS voice teachers, coaches and key members of the program. After being accepted initially into AIMS, I knew I would have a hearing upon arrival where this summers teachers/coaches could hear all the voices and make decisions regarding studio placement. Not only are these hearings informative about student voices, but the performances we give also determine if we will be singing in orchestra concerts or other perform in other various solo performance throughout Graz.

PRESSURE!

Despite my nerves and the fact that I was giving this hearing in front of 25 to 30 very important people, I was happy with the result. Like every audition or hearing, not everything goes perfectly and there are always areas to improve, but given the circumstances I'm quite proud of my performance this afternoon.

I continue to remind myself that I am on the younger side of the age scale and there are people here who have bigger, more settled and much fuller voices then my own - but this doesn't make me inferior. The fact that I'm young doesn't mean I don't deserve to be here, and just because right now I can't sing Queen of the Night or the Doll Aria, just to name a few, doesn't make me any less of a singer. This summer is purely a learning experience not a performance experience, and for where I currently am in my course of study that's perfectly ok!

After my hearing, I had tons of time to kill before the next lecture. I hung in my room for a few hours, Matt made us Westerner's dinner and then we all headed back out for a talk with information about the Operetta program at AIMS. It was a great meeting with the operetta coaches presented information about the solo concerts, ensembles and gave some general background on the world of operetta. Another opportunity for me here!! Later tonight I also attended the first rehearsal of the AIMS Chorale which will be performing various times throughout the summer. More and more times to sing!

Tomorrow looks like another easy day, but in reality is pretty important. Tomorrow we meet our teachers for the program, our vocal coach and get to know all the other singers in our studio for the summer. I'm excited to see who I will be studying with and can't wait to start lessons!

With everything finally falling into place, I really feel like I'm starting to settle down here in Graz. Everyday I become more familiar with the area, try out more German and continue to focus on my studies. Graz is love, Graz is life and I wont take a single moment of this experience for granted.

"I was always walking alone.
When I looked back, everyone was far away.
Nevertheless, I walked on,
That was my strength.
I'm not afraid of anything anymore." Translated lyrics - Brave (Aoi Tada)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: 'Death Becomes Her' (2024) - Chicago's Latest Broadway-Bound Musical Excels, Amidst Necessary Tweaking

Overall Rating: Looking for a nostalgic yet entirely new musical with all the glitz, camp, and dark humor of the 1990's? Then look no fu...