Tuesday, July 7, 2015

AIMS Update 5: Little Fish in a Big HOT Pond

July 7th, 11:30pm - The Heim in Graz, Austria

Today was our first "real" busy day. My day began with German where we reviewed our work from the previous class along with some other materials and survival phrases. I then had some time before taking the train to the Pharrsaal where a lecture entitled 'German Diction with Conviction' was held. A German woman spoke on the importance of German diction and had a few people come up, recite their German repertoire text for the class and fix mistakes in the German pronunciation. This was the first thing that alludes to the title of this post: little fish in a big pond. The first speaker did very well, articulating all the vowels and slight shifts in the language, but the second speaker was a bit of a mess. These first few classes, masterclass sessions and hearings are our first opportunities to hear each other sing or perform, so everyone is feeling some pressure right now, but hearing this young girl get up and look like she was sight reading this German for the first time in front of the class, was something special. The "professor" running the lecture made a great point: "You must come into a diction coaching having done at least 80% of the work. Otherwise you are wasting my and your own time". Needless to say, when I attend my diction coachings I will be very well prepared.

After German diction, I headed back to the Heim to rest. The average temperature in Graz this afternoon was around 95 degrees, so it was SUPER hot which makes for an exhausting day. At 5pm I headed downstairs to meet my assigned pianist for my hearing tomorrow morning! I am the last hearing before make-ups or the late arrivals perform, so I'm hoping to make a good impression on the staff, teachers, coaches and faculty. The rrehersal ultimately went very well and I feel very prepared for tomorrow.

An hour or so later, a group of us went out to grab some dinner before boarding the train again and sitting in on another session of Masterclass #1.
Let's just say this session was "VERY INTERESTING" and I had some very choice words and feelings after it was over....

Anyhoo, another day has come and gone. Tomorrow is, in the long run, a much easier day but a little more intense with my hearing just after noon. Tomorrow I prove why I'm here and why I should be selected/programmed for various recitals, orchestra concerts and other performances - let's do this!
Guten nacht!

1 comment:

  1. Who is the first masterclass with?! And who is your pianist? I hope it goes well! :-) ~Giles

    ReplyDelete

Review: 'Death Becomes Her' (2024) - Chicago's Latest Broadway-Bound Musical Excels, Amidst Necessary Tweaking

Overall Rating: Looking for a nostalgic yet entirely new musical with all the glitz, camp, and dark humor of the 1990's? Then look no fu...